Hermosa Beach Little League wishes to remind coaches, parents, and players of the values that guide our league. These values are based on the essential elements of character building and sportsmanship:
• Good Citizenship
We ask that coaches and parents remember that these are recreational and developmental baseball and softball leagues played for fun. Adults should strive constantly to be positive role models for children and should encourage sportsmanship by showing respect and courtesy to all players, coaches and umpires at every game. It is essential to our league that every parent be an exemplary role model and maintains the highest standard of conduct at all times.
- Cheer and acknowledge good plays by both teams.
- Support the efforts of players and coaches regardless of the result.
- Remember that children participate to learn and have fun and that the game is for the kids, not the adults.
- Learn the rules and policies of the league.
- Respect the officials and their authority during games.
- Never question, discuss, or confront coaches at the game field; if there is an issue, take the time to speak with coaches at a mutually-agreed upon time and place.
Parents WILL NOT:
- Force their child to participate if doing so is clearly against his or her desire or nature, but will hold him/her accountable to honor a team commitment that he/she has made freely.
- Ridicule, criticize, or show any signs of disrespect to officials, players, coaches, or other spectators in victory or defeat.
- Use vulgar, racial, culturally insensitive or abusive language or threatening gestures.
- Engage in any activity that embarrasses others or prohibits them from enjoying the experience of the game.
- Learn the rules and policies of the league and abide by those rules and policies.
- Remember that children participate to learn and have fun and that the game is for them, not the adults.
- Demonstrate good sportsmanship and integrity regardless of the score by acting in a positive manner towards all players, parents, coaches and umpires.
- Emphasize personal and team skill development, fundamentals, practice, hustle and accountability, and how they benefit each player’s growth as a player and a person.
- Show respect to all players, parents, coaches and umpires.
- Shake hands with the umpires and opposing coaches at the conclusion of all games.
- Be a good citizen by caring for our fields and facilities and helping HBDS maintain them in the best possible condition for the next team.
Managers/Coaches WILL NOT:
- Ridicule, criticize, or show any signs of disrespect to the umpire, players, other coaches, or spectators in victory or defeat.
- Challenge an umpire’s authority. The umpires shall have the authority and discretion to expel anyone who does so.
- Use tobacco, including smokeless or chewing products, in the presence of a player.
- Strive to always do their best to learn while also having fun.
- Demonstrate good sportsmanship regardless of the score by acting in a positive manner towards all teammates, opposing players, coaches and umpires.
- Shake hands with the opposing team and umpire at the conclusion of all games.
Players WILL NOT:
- Throw or abuse equipment.
- Use offensive or inappropriate language in a response to a call made on the field.
- Challenge an umpire’s authority.
- Show disrespect to teammates and/or coaches.
Any parent and/or coach guilty of improper conduct at any game or practice will be asked to leave the premises and will be suspended from the following game. The HBDS Executive Board, along with the relevant League Commissioner(s) will review all infractions. Depending on the severity or frequency, the Board may assess additional disciplinary action, up to and including expulsion from HBDS.